Physiotherapy for special needs children aims to rehabilitate and improve children with movement disorders by using different methods of exercise and adaptive equipments.
Physiotherapy focuses on improving gross motor skills and mobility of a child. Children with physical, developmental or neurological disabilities and musculoskeletal problems will benefit from physiotherapeutic interventions. It also promotes good posture and improves the child’s core stability.
The treatment can benefit children with:
- Poor quality of movement / gait.
- Poor co-ordination and balance.
- Limited movements with muscles and joints.
- Those with deformities.
Physiotherapy assessment Includes:
- Prognosis plan of care.
- Implementation of Appropriate Interventions :
- Muscle performance exercises strength and endurance training.
- Stretching techniques or joint mobilization techniques.
- Neurodevelopment (NDT) approach.
- Proprioceptive Neuro facilitation (PNF )techniques.
- Postural control, body mechanics and stabilization exercises.
- Recommend special furniture for better positioning of the limbs.
- Advice of splints or footwear is suggested.
- Home programme for long term results.